Archive | December 2012

Assorted Fun

So I have several little assorted crafts to display today. 

First up is the wine glass charms, I made these in early November for my mom (and me, I knew she would try to give me some of the ones I made her).  I had seen the new inspiration projects on the Fusion Bead website and the Fleur de Lis Wine markers looked extremely simple to make.  All the crystal beads were from stash that I had.  So at the craft store all that I picked up was continuous earring hoops, jump rings, and charms.  They are extremely easy to make.  I think of all 20 or so I did, it took less than an hour plus time for rummaging through the bead stash. 

DSCI0144 DSCI0151

http://www.fusionbeads.com/Fleur-De-Lis-Wine-Markers 

Next up is part of my sister’s Christmas present.  It won’t hurt to share this early because I don’t think she reads this.  But just in case she does, stop reading this post Michelle.  I bought kitchen towels from the store.  I got out the Singer Deluxe Monogrammer for my older sewing machine.  After making sure I had enough thread (very important step) and a sample, I went ahead and monogrammed a towel with her initial and one with the boyfriend’s initial.  I used a zigzag stitch width of 5 and the very tip of the fine triangle on the machine for stitch length.  Since it was so fun, I went ahead and did the third towel with the flower cam.  (The spots are just fray check, those dried and didn’t show).

DSCI0194

The towels sort of make me want to get an embroidery machine now.

Last small project has been reusable fabric tea bags.  I have a lot of loose leaf tea but really don’t want to get out the glass infuser teapot every morning.  So hopefully this will help out.  The instructions I found on-line were really good.  I used a light weight muslin for the bags.  I used beads I had in my stash and ran out of larger holed beads for the thread.  I need to get some more for the other bags at home waiting to be finished. 

DSCI0197DSCI0201 

Here is the instructions I used: http://lillyella.blogspot.com/2009/05/crafting-reusable-tea-bags_19.html

Advertisements

Tea & Cupcake

I actually had this completed a weeks ago but I couldn’t post it until after my work’s Christmas party.  I didn’t want to spoil the surprise.

DSCI0183

The pattern is Butterick 5579, which is a re-release of several 1950’s apron patterns (it is now out of print).  I have made the apron back in late December last year so I did know what to expect when sewing it.  It is a very easy to sew pattern.  The only thing I notice on my previous version was that the pockets gape a bit so lining the pockets works out better.  Otherwise the inside of the pocket as per the pattern is very under finished,  I loved that it is an one yard pattern- which makes it perfect for gifts.  Usually I make an apron every year for my work’s Christmas party.

But I didn’t want to give a plain apron.  So this was a perfect chance to try something new.  I embroidered designs on the pockets.  I have been trying to make items that are more personalized and have started to look at embroidery as the means to this end.  So it all started with the Singer Deluxe Monogrammer from the late 1960/ early 1970s (blame the ones on Sewing Pattern Review because until then I didn’t even know about the different attachments for my older machine), then I decided to get more adventurous.  While rummaging through the book section at Hancock fabric, I came across Doodle Stitches The Motifs.  It was too intriguing to put back, so it ended up in the basket with the spot the dot bolt of linen (a $20 fabric on sale for $4) I found in the tables.  The spot the dot fabric sale at Hancock is too tempting so warning to others you probably won’t leave the area empty-handed.

DSCI0171

My dad modeling the apron

After cleaning the craft room, I picked a fabric and pattern out of the stash.  I even went through the scrap box and found the perfect aqua cotton to match the fabric.  The Doodle Stitches book is on bookshelf just gnawing at me that the aqua fabric would be a better embroidery background than a pocket lining.  So the stripe fabric became the pocket lining and the aqua the outside.  Since the finished product was going to be an apron I decided a cupcake would be perfect.  But both pockets couldn’t be matching, so I also chose the teacup for the second pocket.

I really haven’t ever embroidered before.  I currently have a Care Bear counted cross stitch sitting on my living room end table half completed.  So I was at least familiar with cross stitch and back stitch.  There was enough instructions and pictures in the basics section of this book for me to easily learn chain stitch and split stitch.

My co-workers even got a cute little crystal rivioli star ornament for the Christmas tree.

DSCI0173