Tea & Cupcake

I actually had this completed a weeks ago but I couldn’t post it until after my work’s Christmas party.  I didn’t want to spoil the surprise.


The pattern is Butterick 5579, which is a re-release of several 1950’s apron patterns (it is now out of print).  I have made the apron back in late December last year so I did know what to expect when sewing it.  It is a very easy to sew pattern.  The only thing I notice on my previous version was that the pockets gape a bit so lining the pockets works out better.  Otherwise the inside of the pocket as per the pattern is very under finished,  I loved that it is an one yard pattern- which makes it perfect for gifts.  Usually I make an apron every year for my work’s Christmas party.

But I didn’t want to give a plain apron.  So this was a perfect chance to try something new.  I embroidered designs on the pockets.  I have been trying to make items that are more personalized and have started to look at embroidery as the means to this end.  So it all started with the Singer Deluxe Monogrammer from the late 1960/ early 1970s (blame the ones on Sewing Pattern Review because until then I didn’t even know about the different attachments for my older machine), then I decided to get more adventurous.  While rummaging through the book section at Hancock fabric, I came across Doodle Stitches The Motifs.  It was too intriguing to put back, so it ended up in the basket with the spot the dot bolt of linen (a $20 fabric on sale for $4) I found in the tables.  The spot the dot fabric sale at Hancock is too tempting so warning to others you probably won’t leave the area empty-handed.


My dad modeling the apron

After cleaning the craft room, I picked a fabric and pattern out of the stash.  I even went through the scrap box and found the perfect aqua cotton to match the fabric.  The Doodle Stitches book is on bookshelf just gnawing at me that the aqua fabric would be a better embroidery background than a pocket lining.  So the stripe fabric became the pocket lining and the aqua the outside.  Since the finished product was going to be an apron I decided a cupcake would be perfect.  But both pockets couldn’t be matching, so I also chose the teacup for the second pocket.

I really haven’t ever embroidered before.  I currently have a Care Bear counted cross stitch sitting on my living room end table half completed.  So I was at least familiar with cross stitch and back stitch.  There was enough instructions and pictures in the basics section of this book for me to easily learn chain stitch and split stitch.

My co-workers even got a cute little crystal rivioli star ornament for the Christmas tree.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.