With all the fun fancy dresses that I can’t wear everyday done, it is about time I start sewing practical items that I can wear more often. I decided to continue on with using my fabric stash and make a blouse for Pattern Review’s fabric stash contest.
I had traced this pattern out on one of my snow days during February. I haven’t had a chance to sit down and make it yet because I always wanted to do something else first. This is the second pattern I have made out of my small collection of Burda Style magazines. This one is pattern 105 from April 2010. I like the ruffle front of it and thought that it would work well with my style. It should be easy to wear to work with a cardigan and be a cute fun summer top. I used 1 7/8 yards of fabric for this top. The fabric is white rayon Challis from my stash. It is probably about a year old. I was supposed to make a couple tops last summer out of it but I never did. I wasn’t certain what tops to make.
I ended up with a shorter collar because I forgot to add the seam allowance. But I was able to cut everything out in less than 40 minutes using my rotary cutter and my new 3/4 inch hex nuts as pattern weights. They are so much better than the artichoke and bean cans I was using before. I saw that over in Casey’s Elegant Musings. I did also forget to put the grain line on the ruffles pattern pieces. So hopefully I guessed right.
The pattern instructions are not very clear. I think that is because it is all text. If there were diagrams or pictures it may have been clearer. Burda rates this pattern at intermediate. The instructions and the collar are probably the main reasons I think this is intermediate. One definitely needs to have a sewing manual on hand to understand the collar instructions. I really wanted to have my top ready for the weekend, so, I didn’t actually use the stand collar that I cut out. I just applied bias tape to the back of the neckline instead. Next time I can try to figure out the collar.
As for pattern sizing, I used a 36 for the shoulders then graded out to a 44 for the bust and waist. I added a couple of inches on to the length, just because I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t end up with a top that is too short. I made the front slit according to how the pattern had it. Then I tried it on and decided that it did need to be shortened. I went ahead and sewed it up around 1 ½ inches. It changes the pattern a little but not enough to make it noticeable.
I probably should have taken in the side seams a touch more. But leaving them with the 5/8th inch seam allowance means I don’t need a zipper. Which is great, because I didn’t feel like tackling a zipper. There is just enough shaping in the side that it works for me. Anyone else may want to consider the zipper and larger seam allowance.
So confession time, this top isn’t exactly quite finished yet. I haven’t hemmed the ruffles yet. That will be Monday night’s project probably. I am thinking of using a satin stitch sort of hem, nothing really bulky. A contrasting color may be nice.
I really wanted to take the pictures of this top over the weekend when I was on my day excursion. I did the Northwest Missouri winery trail at took the couple of pictures of the top at Pirtle Winery (in Weston). They had a cute little area that included a couple of grape vines which I thought would make a nice background. I was only able to get to four out of the eight wineries on the trail. So hopefully in a couple of weeks, I am able to get to the last four wineries. Luckily for my new top, I didn’t spill any red wine on it.
So far, I have used 5 5/8 yards for Pattern Review’s fabric stash. I may have enough white rayon Challis left for one more top. It probably can’t be anything too fancy.
Keeping with tops, the next sewing project is between a 1960’s Simplicity pattern or Savage Coco’s halter top. Either one uses something from the stash.