So after cutting out my plaid summer dress, I was adding a lot more fabric to the odds & ends fabric scrap pile. The stuff that is not enough to make an article of clothing for me but too large to just throw away. I don’t quilt so the amount is starting to overrun the box it is in.
I thought about making more items for Toby. (Toby is probably thinking I have way too much time available and to not make anything for him. Halloween is one outfit too many.) One day when I opened up my closet, I remembered about the American Girl dolls I have. I own four of them altogether (Felicity, Kristen, Samantha, and Molly); two were originally my sister’s dolls but she didn’t want them anymore. Those scraps of fabric will work out perfect for making doll clothes for them. Also, I may be able to donate the extra clothes I make for the dolls to either Toys for Tots or the Christmas Worthy. I am sure Toby heaved a sigh of relieve as I am typing this. Granted I may still make him a t-shirt out of the orange plaid cotton so he can have an outfit to match my summer dress.
After spending a couple of hours cleaning up all four doll and washing their laundry by hand. Apparently my kitchen island isn’t big enough for the laundry of 3 American girls. They cleaned up very well for being a box for several years. I told my dad he gets the privilege of going to the American Girl store to shop for socks, panties, and stockings. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get him to come with me four different times so that is why all four were cleaned at once. I think I am going to display them in the living room.
So, first up on this American Girl sewing adventure is Heritage Doll Fashions “Bubble Gum” 1940s dress for Molly. I got the pattern from an Etsy store. It is an easy to use pdf pattern. I used the orange plaid cotton I had left over from McCall’s 6340 dress. Colors may not be historically accurate but at least the fabric will be.
As far as I can figure my American girl dolls were purchased around 1992 to 1995 (at the latest). I am providing Molly’s measurements just as a comparison for anyone who is making this for a more modern doll. I know there are differences between new and old but I am not sure how much. From what I read on the internet, my older dolls are chubbier than the new ones.
Bust: 11.5 inches
Waist: 11 inches
Hips: 13 inches
In the end the waistband area seems a little tight on Molly. I am not sure if it is because of Molly’s waist or just seam bulk. If anything an additional quarter of an inch would probably make the waist fit better. The bodice of the dress fit Molly just perfectly.
Looking at the pattern, I thought the hardest part of the pattern would be the rounded yoke. It was not. The hardest part turns out to be the sleeves. So be prepared for that. During construction, I went ahead and basted the lining and the bodice together at the side seams and the waistband to make it easier to sew.