Archive | October 2013

Cute Dolly pants- Simplicity 4297

After putting my four American girl dolls up on display in my living room at home, I decided to get another doll.  I was able to find a previously loved Kit doll to add to my four.  After she arrived at home, I took my mom to the American girl store by her house to get Kit’s accessories, doll socks for Felicity and Molly, and panties.  I got a socks from Addy’s collection and the modern girls area.  But American girl just does not have panties for the historic dolls.  I will have to make panties for my dolls myself.  Hopefully Samantha’s panties stay up until there are new ones.

DSCI0060

Another rummage through the scrap box yielded this navy blue cotton.  It isn’t exactly navy, but a lighter color of navy.  I am not sure what else to call it but navy.  Maybe I should go on the Pantone color website to see if I can find a closer color name?  There was enough for two pairs of pants.  One for my dolls and one to give away (most likely to either Toys for Tots or the Christmas Worthy Cause).

DSCI0061

Going for variety in the wardrobe, I decided to make pants.  I already had made a dress and a couple of pairs of shorts.  The shorts are waiting for me to finish up the blouse that I cut out before being shared and reviewed.  At the time I only had Simplicity 4297 which had pants pattern.  These were fairly simple elastic waist pants.  The pattern is simple enough to be a beginner’s pattern.  My only difficulty was getting the waist band around my sewing machine’s free arm.  So I do wish I would have done the waistband on the front and back separately then put the side seams together.  I can’t remember exactly how the directions told you to do it.  I went ahead and hemmed the pants before sewing the in-seam.  It made the pants much easier to hem on the machine.

DSCI0063

My model Kit has on her “Meet” cardigan set, shoes, and accessories with the new blue pants.  Just so everyone knows that I didn’t make her top.  I just can’t knit at all so her top is well beyond what I could make.

My upcoming sewing project include making curtains for my parents’ living room, Simplicity 5822 for Pattern Review’s vintage contest, a doll dress, a doll blouse, and possibly another apron.

Advertisements

Julie and Julia

At work this year, the United way fundraiser basket theme was comedy movies.  My work area chose the movie “Julie and Julia” to center the basket around.  After I got permission (had to make certain that hand-made items would be accepted), I made a 1950’s style half apron for the basket.

This time around, I mixed two of my favorite patterns together for the finished apron.  I took the skirt and waistband from Butterick 5579.  The ties came from Simplicity 2592.  I didn’t bother with any lace or bias trim.  I used a narrow rolled hem on the skirt.  I did cut two waistbands instead of one so that I had more room for my ties.

DSCI0158

I think I may have at least one to two more aprons to make this year.  One for another holiday party and possibly one for my sister.  I am not sure yet if she would like to have an apron.