Apparently there is a big hole in my wardrobe. I am running out of simple easy to wear dresses. I want some variety in my outfits (this scab still around from January’s surgery is controlling what I can wear without using a band-aid). I even tried looking at RTW stores for just a simple t-shirt style dress. No one had any t-shirt style dresses! I am about ready to go raid my sister’s closet for t-shirt style dresses to wear. Actually it is more like send my dad over to raid her closet for me.
I decided to make the Deer & Doe plantain top as a dress now for a couple of weeks. But I had troubles finding decent knit fabric on a reasonable sale price. Eventually a nice stripe showed up at the fabric store (maybe a little thin) plus I was able to dig a rose-colored one out of stash. I was going to wait until after the 1960s cranberry pink dress I am currently working on, but decided this can’t wait too much longer.
I cut a 42 at the bust and graded out to a 46 at the hip. Then I added about 15 inches to the hemlines to make it dress length and continued the side seam curve out to the new bottom of my pattern piece. At the Deer & Doe blog, they do have tutorial for a baby-doll style dress using the plantain pattern. I didn’t bother to follow this because I wanted just a simple t-shirt dress. I may have to re-visit this tutorial at another time.
I got all the pieces cut and assembled in one night (probably about a 2 ½ hour time frame). I used my serger to assemble everything so it was quick. But I felt like I wasn’t as accurate with using the serger as I would have been with a sewing machine.
Second night I worked on my dress, I mainly had left shortening the length, shortening sleeve length, and hems. The sleeves ended up being about bracelet length on me. So I shortened it by about 2 inches. Then I went back and shortened the dress length about 4 inches.
I tried to line the stripes up at the side seams. Apparently I was only successful at getting one side to match. It is kind of disappointing. The bottom layer of the fold must not have been as even as I thought.
Next time I try this I may go ahead and lessen the taper on the sleeve pieces. My sleeve feels a little too clingy.
Deer & Doe tutorial: http://blog-en.deer-and-doe.fr/126-tutorial-a-very-easy-plantain-dress/
Hopefully next week, I will be able to post the cranberry pink dress. I also need to get my vintage pattern ready for Pattern Review’s Vintage contest.