Samantha’s Party Dress- A Pleasant Company Pattern

I have my dress completed but am still waiting to take pictures of it. I plan on posting it next week. Until then, I have another doll dress for you to see.

DSCI0104

When you spend about $30 on a piece of fabric, you have to use it all up especially when it is a beautiful color. I still had some silk left after making my dress. I have to use it all up. So besides Marie Grace and Cecile getting a skirt to share between them (I am saving that until I had completed a couple more items from Butterick 6035), Samantha got her Christmas party dress. I used the Pleasant Company pattern.

All the pieces were easy to cut with the rotary cutter. Actually, if you have a 54 or 60 inch wide fabric you could probably get away with just about a quarter of a yard. I did use my serger on the dress because I didn’t want my silk duponi to un-ravel.

I didn’t put the lace on the neckline. But I did use the lace for the sleeve ruffle. I had one and one quarter-inch lace not the one and three-quarter-inch lace recommend. For the waist sash, I used plain half-inch satin ribbon instead. At the fabric store, the only picot edge ribbon was less than a quarter inch. I think a lot of changes have been made to the trim departments in the fabric stores. So if anyone decides to make this, be prepared to change the ribbon and lace as necessary and for the trim to cost more than the fabric you use. Over half the cost in making this dress was for lace and ribbon.

The bodice pieces went together very well. The directions are not very clear for the neckband. I thought I would be folding the short ends in for a clean finish and leaving a quarter-inch at the end on the bodice. If I followed the directions correctly, the directions had one attaching the neckband across then afterwards folding the short ends in when you finish the opening.

DSCI0103

The sleeve ruffles directions were confusing. It felt like there was too much ruffle for the sleeve when I gathered a 10 inch piece of lace to 4 inches. I didn’t follow the instructions. Instead I took the 10 ¼ inch piece of lace and basted it to the sleeve. Then I gathered the sleeve and attached it to the bodice. I don’t really like how I did the sleeve ruffle. I wished I had cut 4 ½ inch piece then centered that over the shoulder seam of the bodice and basted it to the bodice instead.

Other than dislike of the sleeve ruffles, everything went together well. I did go ahead and catch the white sash ribbon in my back seam. So it would not slip and slide around, I put a couple of hand stitches in the ribbon to keep everything in place.

Estimated cost of this dress is $10.

samantha party

I have at least one more project with this fabric planned. It is Felicity’s school jacket but it will have to wait until I purchase more thread.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Samantha’s Party Dress- A Pleasant Company Pattern

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s