So this is the new free pattern for Lee & Pearl’s newsletter mailing list. For a free pattern, you are getting so many different variations. The pattern included a top, dress, shorts (cuffed and un-cuffed), and an apron. I went ahead and made the shorts and the top for my dolls.
The top I made with white rayon challis. The pattern recommends cotton, so my rayon challis is a little light weight for the pattern. So I didn’t feel up to fighting both Toby and Lala investigating the iron so I didn’t iron my wrinkly challis before cutting the pattern out. I really believe that is why the top looks bigger than what the pattern shows. The pleats at the neckline are the only part that made me stop to re-read the instructions and match what I do to the pictures. I didn’t top-stitch my pleats down. Otherwise the top was easy to put together even with the pleats in the sleeves.
I had a cute blue floral quilting cotton that I thought would be adorable shorts. First I had to make sure I could get a dress for Cecile then I could cut my shorts out plus I got a bonus pair of shoes too from the fabric. The shorts do have a pocket, so for the pocket lining I used some of the white quilting cotton I had so it wouldn’t show through. The shorts went together very quickly. I think I had them completely sewn in an hour and a half. So this is the first pattern I have used for shorts/ pants that didn’t use elastic in the waistband. These shorts close with Velcro.
This pattern is rated at easy/ intermediate for the pleats and curved seams. That is pretty accurate. I really like the items I made. It will definitely be used again later this year as I am working on the doll wardrobe for my dad’s work.