Archive | March 2016

Liesl + Co Late Lunch Tunic

DSCI0080So moving on from doll clothes for a while, my focus was turned to tops for myself.  I went with the Liesl & Co. late lunch tunic that I had picked up in late November as the starter for getting me back to sewing for myself.  As mentioned earlier, this top was finished before the Liesl & Co gallery tunic.  For both patterns I used a size 12 but could have gotten away with using a 10 instead.  I may see if sewing group agrees with the thought.

I decided to try out Liesl & Co late lunch tunic. It looked like it had similar styling as the McCall’s 7094 floral blouse I made which has become a favorite.  I like the fitted shoulders then the drape looseness of McCall’s 7094.  The late lunch tunic looked like it has the semi fitted shoulder area with the looseness that I have been wanting lately.  Also, the high low hem doesn’t look too dramatic from the pictures of finished tunics I have seen.  The part that sealed the deal on it being top of the to sew pile was seeing a post on the Olive + S blog that suggested men’s shirting as a potential fabric.  I had some lovely coral pink stretch shirting at home from Maggie London so that should be comparable.

This is the first Liesl + Co pattern I have used. I have use the Lisette Simplicity patterns (Traveler and Marketplace) before.  I like that the digital pattern is printed on a grid.  That gives me more to potential line the pattern up with instead of just triangles or corner circles.  This pattern didn’t go together like the usual PDF patterns I have used.  Instead of taping every piece together by row/ letter, this pattern is put together by pieces.  The numbers are the pattern piece numbers.  So 1 goes to front yoke.  Then the letters are the only ones that get matched.  It is different but does make it a bit easier putting stuff together.


I followed the directions listed in the pattern for the full bust alteration. I really appreciated that the pattern included this.  Instead of the half-inch suggested for C cup, I went with five-eighth inch just for some added looseness.  So just between a C and D.

Afterwards, I taped the front pieces together to check length. For me, this pattern almost came down to my knees.  I was torn on whether or not to shorten the skirt pieces by three inches or less.  I erred on the side of caution and went with two inches.  I figure if I need to, I can take the last from the hem area.  For my alteration, I placed a line at three inches and nine inches from the top of the skirt.  On either side of the two lines I put another set of lines half-inch away.  Then I folded along the original line to take an inch out of each piece (both front and back).


After getting everything together, the length was a little long. I should have went with my initial reaction of 3 inch decrease on length.  So the final inch and quarter came off of the bottom hem of the top.  Actually after taking the pictures, I ended up taking out the hem and cutting another inch off the back hem curving it up to the front.  It seemed too long still.

For the skirt part of my Late Lunch tunic, I used French seams so that the side seams were more “invisible” since the shirt has a shaped hem.


Any future make of this top, I would definitely need to reduce the length of the sleeves. My current make has about an inch and half hem on the sleeves (which is more than pattern recommended five eighth inch hem).  If I keep the deeper hem, I probably should shorten the sleeves about an inch. The other change to make would be to shorten the shaped hem in the back.  It is probably a little more dramatic than I like.

I still need to think on this some, but there seems to be too much fabric at the arms in the bodice. I think this is wearing ease so I can move my arms easily.  It looks like the pictures from the website has the same “issue”.  I am just not sure if it is to the same extent that I see on myself.  This may be another question to take to sewing group to see what they think.

I just finished up another Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono t-shirt.  Then next up is the McCall’s 6844.