I actually picked up the Drape Drape 3 book first but wasn’t certain if there was a great starter pattern in it for me to make. Therefore, I ordered Drape Drape 2 next. I have seen several version of top number 4 on the internet and it looked like a good starting point. Something not so overly dramatic that it isn’t wearable every day and as few of pieces as possible.
I did cut a trial out since I am above the limits of the X-Large. The only change made before the trial was to raise the neckline. I raised it by 4 inches. For the trial, I never put in the neckband piece.
From the trial, I decided I needed a little more width in the hips. Also the right sleeve opening was a little tight. The left side was cut along the seam allowance then hinged out about a half-inch (on both left sides). Then I sliced the fold line on the right side and added a half-inch in there. To make sure that the right sleeve opening wasn’t too tight, I added a little to the sleeve opening and tapered back to nothing at the neckline (on both right sides).
There are no pictures of the trial because I used the same navy blue fabric for it as I did for the final version.
On to construction, this is a fairly easy top to put together. I did add quarter-inch clear elastic in the shoulders of the top to help keep the shape of the shoulders. Since, I raised the neckline, the neckband dimensions given in the book would not work anymore. I measured a new neckline length of 28.75 inches. I used a 24.5 inch by 2 inch neckband. Before final hemming, I tried on the top. The length was near where I like tops to be at. So instead of turning under the hem, I drafted a hem band of 46 inches by 3 inches.