Kit’s Playsuit- Keeper Dolly Duds 19

dsci0058

So it has been a couple of months since my dolls had a new outfit.  This time, Kit decided it was her turn for a new outfit.  I had previously purchased the “Bibbed Playsuit” from Keeper Dolly Duds’ Etsy store and was inspired to use it from looking at American Girl Wiki’s Kit Hobo outfit.  It was a top and overalls.  Granted I really follow the inspiration piece exactly because I didn’t want to put holes in the new overalls.

For a while, I have been working on making a couple of dresses for my mom for Christmas (better early than too late).  So in between dresses, I made Kit’s red blouse.  I think the fabric came from a Lee & Pearl fabric mystery bundle and it looks to be cotton.  This blouse was fairly easy to make and I only looked at the instructions for the collar and facing.  If you have made Simplicity 1086 (the 1950’s pattern for Mary Ellen from Keeper Dolly Duds), this blouse is pretty much similar.  I think the big difference is the collar shape and this one has sleeves.

dsci0060

The overalls are rated as intermediate pattern.  To be complete honest, my laptop computer died right before I was going to make this.  I did look at the pattern pieces to see if I could figure out how they went together without instructions.  I couldn’t do it and at least found a computer where I could print out the instructions.  As long as I followed the instructions, the overalls were fairly easy to put together.  So the intermediate classification is fairly accurate.  This definitely isn’t a beginner’s project with buttonholes, plackets and topstitching.

For the overalls, I used a chambray remnant from Hancock Fabrics.  I decided on the pants length with the trim pockets.  It took a while to find the trim box in my craft room reorganization, but unfortunately it didn’t yield anything useful.  The rick-rack I found at an antique mall was too off white to go with the white buttons I had picked out for the overalls before.  So the trim was eliminated as I was trying to use stash for this project.

dsci0065

The front waistband required some thought as to how the pieces went together.  The other part that required some thought was inserting the elastic.  In the end, I decided that the elastic was not to go to the edge of the back pant pattern piece as that folds over for a facing for the buttons.

dsci0070

 

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Kit’s Playsuit- Keeper Dolly Duds 19

  1. Wow, that turned out adorable! And like something a little girl could actually play in without getting in trouble. Give Kit a little newsboy cap and this looks to me like a much nice little girl outfit than the hobo overalls. It looks like a pretty complicated pattern to me! Elastic can be such a pain to sew with.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s