I will always go put a potential craft project in Google to see what others have made (I even Googled Kit’s overalls before making). It doesn’t stop me from making what ever the project is if there isn’t a review. The kit my sister gave me “Crochet Animal Pals” for Christmas was no different. I couldn’t find any reviews for this kit.
The kit includes 3 balls of yarn (plus some dark brown for the face embroidery) for one animal, a 4 mm crochet hook, a tapestry needle (which may be a little small for the thick yarn), and a book of instructions for 5 animals. The animals include a bunny, bear, fox, cat, and elephant. If you follow the instructions to the letter, the included yarn can only make a bunny or a bear. The instructions tell you all materials included in the kit for bear and bunny. Otherwise, materials are listed out for the other animals.
I was torn as to whether to start with the bear or the bunny. In the end the bunny won out, but I started and figured I had up to round 19 to decide. The basic pattern for the body and head is very easy to follow. I didn’t have any troubles at all. Just be sure to count stitches as you go and to mark down which round one finishes. Flipping back and forth in the book, you find the instructions for the arms, legs, ears and tail. All those instructions were easy to understand also.
In the end, I didn’t have enough tan yarn to make my entire bunny. I would have been short 1 ear and a tail. So that is why the one ear has grey and tan and the other ear is solid grey. I also tried to sew a couple of grey spots on the body so that the grey ears and tail didn’t look out of place. Also, I didn’t have enough stuffing for the entire rabbit too.
I really wanted to make the bear also. So right after finishing up the rabbit, I got the supplies for the bear (using the other patterns to estimate how much yarn I would need). This time I used Premier Yarn’s Deborah Norville Collection’s Serenity chunky. After finishing up the bear and weighing the amount of yarn (cream) left from making the bear body, I had just 0.8 oz of yarn left. Doing the math, I determined the bear used 85 yards of yarn to make the bear.
I really didn’t like how the bear’s hat is done. It was sort of confusing when it came time to make the brim of the hat.
Now time for the one I made my mom. She decided on a bear also with a striped sweater. But I decided I wanted to use the hat that went with the elephant instead. I have double checked my math and I believe there is a typo in round 9 on the elephant’s hat. The total I come up with is 36 stitches at the end, not the 41 in the book. My hat does look like the one in the book. I have e-mailed this to Sterling Publishers but have not heard anything back yet. I will up-date the blog post if I do.
I just finished the third one for my mom over the weekend.
I really enjoyed the kit and will keep using the patterns in the book.