So moving along in my American Girl doll collection, it was Rebecca’s turn for a new dress. So Simplicity 1179 is another of the Keeper’s Dolly Duds patterns for Simplicity.
I honestly don’t know what the light blue fabric is, but based on drape, I think there is some rayon in it. This was probably a bit light for the pattern. The white fabric used for the sleeve accent and collar is a quilting cotton.
The pattern instructions are well done and easy to follow.
I probably err on the side of simplicity as I didn’t use all the buttons that the pattern request. My version is missing the buttons on the sleeves, and on the collar. I reduced the number of buttons on the placket to three because I used a 3/8 inch buttons instead of 1/4 buttons. That was mainly because I wanted gold buttons.
I used Velcro to close the back of the dress instead of buttons which are mentioned on the pattern. I have probably about 20 yards left from the 25 yard roll of Velcro I bought from Etsy last year.
As always with Keeper’s Dolly Duds patterns, the pattern is well drafted. However, it may just be me, I feel like the waistband is a little low. I know it is a dropped waist style; but Rebecca looks like she has a saggy waistband in the back. I think the next time I make this pattern I may take in the waistband to see if that helps out the saggy backside.
As Samantha is still needing a new dress, I may come back to this pattern and try out either view C or view D.