A couple of years ago, I lost my favorite beaded bracelet (the Marlene) at the engineering competition I was helping at. I think that my coat caught the magnetic clasp and knocked it off my wrist. After I realized it was really gone, I re-ordered the supplies to make it. I even paid to ship the 2mm indigo round crystals all the way from Australia (which I made sure to buy enough extra beads).
After several messed up starts, this time I was determined to get this bracelet completed. I honestly think that this time the bracelet was much harder to make. Maybe because I knew that the bracelet is a hard make? I was trying to get it to look more similar to the picture in the book but I had a hard time achieving that.
Again, I did not use the recommended number of right angle stitches on the bezel. Looking at the example in the book, it really looks like the directions have you add an extra row on the front than what the example shows. On the back, I did add an extra row just to make sure I had a more secure bezel setting.
I read through my notes, previous blog post, and the instructions. But to be honest, I still couldn’t understand how to make the finished bracelet look more like the picture in the book. The bracelet does look very similar to original bracelet that I made.
This time I used a box clasp instead of the recommended magnetic clasp in the book. I have worn it a couple of times and the box style clasp seems to be holding up well and realistically probably blends in better with the art deco/ art nouveau style of the bracelet.
June 10 is World Doll Day. So lets celebrate by showing off Rahel in her new dress. Rahel is the third Hearts for Hearts doll added to my collection.
Rahel got the Ethiopian dress from Wren Feathers designs. Honestly, it is an extremely easy pattern to put together. I read through the directions and I decided that I was going to use a Velcro to close the back of the dress up. I printed out a separate piece for the back and then added 3/8th of an inch to the center back for the Velcro.
The stash really didn’t have all the colorful trim that the pattern asked for. Instead, I used my machine’s decorative stitches and the straight stitch for trim. It was stitch 32 or 36 on my Pfaff Ambition Essential. I really wished I would have went with more colorful stitches instead of staying with the single color which matched Rahel’s bangles and necklace. As for the main fabric, I have to admit it is a mystery fabric that I got from Hancock’s remnant bin. But it was a lovely light blue which worked well with the trim stitching.
However, I didn’t catch that the sleeve area should have had the binding also.
So flipping through blog post, it looks like I don’t sew clothes for people anymore. But to be honest, November and December’s sewing projects were for my mom who doesn’t want her items posted to the blog. I originally planned on working this t-shirt pattern back in the beginning of January, but I only had a plain solid color rayon knit picked out. So it got shoved to the side so Marie Grace could get a dress instead. I actually made the tops back in February.
I am glad that I waited, as later in January I picked up a cute floral rayon knit and a coordinating solid rose color. This is much more inspiring. As they are coordinating, I went ahead and made 2 opposite t-shirts.
I made a straight size Z. This is the same size I made in the Jalie scarf collared top. No other alterations were made. However, I did add clear elastic in the raglan shoulder seams like I would have on a shoulder seam for normal t-shirts.
The neckline on the rose bodied top did stretch out some so I did add a tuck in the back neckline so that the neckline came in and laid against my back better.
Even though, several friends and my parents told me the neckline of the top is fine, I think the next version I make of Jalie 3245 will definitely have a thicker neckband before I start playing with the neckline a little. It just feels a little too low for my own personal preference.