Panty party

Front

Back to school time always seems to be the time when I think about buying new underwear even though I have been out of college for 11 years.  This time I decided to skip the heartache of searching at the store and make my own underwear.  For my “panty party”, I decided to use Simplicity 8229, Simplicity 8228, Simplicity 8436 and Butterick 6031.

Back

When I decided that I was going to have my own “panty party”, I went ahead and purchased a pack of men’s white t-shirts to use for the crotch lining on all patterns chosen.  I figured this would be the easiest solution without me having to hunt for appropriate fabric on the internet or in store.  Anyways, I was having a flare up of endometriosis symptoms so less work was best at the time.

I also went ahead and picked up a coral bamboo knit from Emerald Erin to try out in all 4 patterns.

Simplicity 8229

Previous Simplicity 8229

Let’s start with Simplicity 8229.  Back before my sewing machine went in for repair in March or April, I did make a couple of pairs of Simplicity 8229.  At the time I never really thought about blogging about them but I did put them in for Emerald Erin’s panty party.  For sizing, I cut out a small but used the elastic size for medium (by mistake but it works).  I used a pair of high-waisted underwear that I got from Marshalls before and like to determine the size.  They were very stretchy so I knew as long as I used ITY, I should be fine on fit.  The bamboo worked well in the small also.  I think I may go back and reduce the rise by half-inch.

Next was Simplicity 8228.

Simplicity 8228

The first pair was from black stretch lace that I got from a lace grab bag and the ITY fabric I used for a skirt on a dress for my mom.  As I was cutting it out, I decided to add a quarter-inch to the front of the crotch lining.  I also used the hem already in the shirt to make the hem on the lining.  Since the lace gets applied on top, I basted the center front and back with the quarter-inch seam allowance so I had an easier time lining the lace side pieces up.

I used the size small again and with the medium elastic.

I didn’t want all high waist panties, so I decided to branch out to include Simplicity 8436.  This pair is so different from anything I had in my simple boring underwear drawer.  Since it was another Madelynne for Simplicity pattern, I traced out a small also.  Honestly, I don’t think I will ever wear this.  The front of the underwear is alright.  However, the back does not have as much coverage.

Simplicity 8436

Butterick 6031 (from Gertie) was the last pair I decided to try out.  For this one I decided to go with the size 14.  The side seams are 5/8 inch.  But the elastic seam allowance is the 1/4 inch.   I really don’t care much for the mixed seam allowance.  I wish the underwear would have been a consistent quarter-inch.   Otherwise, the underwear went together easily.  As the lace elastic I used had a straight side, I basted along the edge and then turned and zig-zag stitched.

Butterick 6031

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s