Today is 1940’s day for Doll Clothing week in honor of Nanea’s release over the summer. There are just so many different options; it was hard to narrow it down to one outfit for my dolls. I thought Nanea’s meet outfit was adorable, but then I also had Molly that I could try to recreate one of her outfits. I have Molly’s pretty clothing patterns. Then I thought about another KRVP dress and even bought some fabric for it but didn’t want to repeat the same dress that I made earlier this year. After that I thought about the “Heritage Doll Clothing” book too. In the end, Wren Feathers made my decision easy when she released her 1940’s Island patterns. I decided that my Nanea doll needed the 1940’s Muumuu.
The pattern came together fairly easily. Nanea’s dress is made from quilting cotton. The yoke is lined with white cotton and I was able to get a great square neckline with this method. For the sleeve hem, I did a narrow rolled hem. My tip for this is to use a small zigzag stitch at the edge. This way I had something a little denser to be able to narrow roll. I use two passes of straight stitch for the hem; fold over once and stitch, then fold over again and stitch. I find I get better consistency doing the narrow hems this way.
The only item I would do differently next time would be to make the ruffle piece longer. This is completely person opinion but when I look at Nanea, it seems like the bottom of my ruffle is pulling the dress in instead of flowing out more.
I took Nanea out to my parents’ house over the weekend to show my mom the dress. She said that this dress would have been a better meet dress for Nanea then the top and shorts she came with. My mom felt it had a better Hawaiian style to it.