Here is the doll designer interview from the lead doll designer for McCall’s Virginia Maizenaski.
1. What was your first doll?
My first doll was an 11 1/2” Samantha doll from the TV show Bewitched.
2. What was the last doll you got?
The last doll I got was a self-made cloth doll that was a storybook doll.
3. What is one sewing notion you absolutely must have?
When creating dolls and crafts, I must have my extra long doll needle. My second must have is my stuffing tool.
4. What pattern from your line would you recommend to someone who hasn’t tried your patterns before?
I would recommend M7106 – a Learn to Sew doll clothes pack for 18” doll.
5. Where did you get the inspiration for the new pattern?
The pack is based on popular children’s fashion.
On your website, it looks like most of the doll patterns are either 18″(like American girl brand style) or 11 1/2 inch like Barbie except for a couple of baby doll style. Is McCall’s and Butterick considering expanding the doll clothing sizes available to include 13/14 inch dolls like the Hearts for Hearts or Wellie Wishers?
We are considering putting out packs for this size doll.
Thank you to Virginia and McCall’s for answering the questions that I gave her.