Archive | January 2018

More Heritage Doll Clothes

So this time around, I pulled out Joan Hind’s “Heritage Doll Clothes” book to make the dropped waist dress for a Rebecca doll some little girl got for Christmas.  The designs for the early turn of the century are just so pretty.  I don’t know any of the little girl’s likes or dislikes so hopefully a purple and white dress will be well received.

I will have to admit this was one of those dresses I really didn’t like putting together but look so good when it is done.  I know I will suffer again when I go and make one for my own dolls.

Compared to the other dresses from the book I completed, there may be something just tiny bit off.  The pieces didn’t line up as easily as the other patterns did.

The sleeve cuff was labeled as 5 inches long.  I had to slightly gather the bottom of my sleeve so that it would fit the 5 inch width.  When I make it again, I will have the cuff a little longer so that they match the bottom of the sleeve.  Also my sleeve took some wiggling to get Rebecca’s had through the opening.

I don’t remember seeing it in the directions, but I trimmed the ends of my yoke seams so that it was easier to put in my sleeve.  On my dress, the corners of this seam were very obvious and would have made it harder for me to put in a sleeve.

I didn’t see any marks on the pattern showing where the belt should go.  I probably put this a little low for the doll.  But I did change the look of the belt with using a cross over and a single focal point button.  (Thank you Melody for the button.)

I used the instructions provided in the book to make the yoke piping.






Doll Poncho

I have been working on a crochet blanket since September but progress on it is very slow.  I needed a break and decided to crochet my dolls a poncho.

I used the K-sized crochet hook and the left over Red Heart yarn from my koala and sheep.  I really liked that Yarnpirations had a video that I could follow along when I needed it.  It was simpler than I had thought it would be but I think that is because I was able to watch the video to see it being done.

Since I was using left over yarn, the collar is only 9 stitches wide.  The collar is sort of awkward size, if I had it to redo, I probably would have used 6 or 7 slip stitches.  9 stitches does not fold over as nicely.  I guess I can always hand stitch the “corners” of the neckline down to get a nicely folded collar.  Also, the sides are only 4 slip stitches wide.