Archive | June 2018

A bit Late- Simplicity 8365

I really should have thought about making Simplicity 8365 before the Kentucky Derby and the Royal Wedding.  But the thought never crossed my mind then.

In researching the pattern (which I did after I bought and cut the pattern out), I did come across the designer’s tutorial.  It was nice to see the pictures of the flowers being made.

I uses poly satins from Joann’s Casa collection and a block of tan felt.  As a warning, the rosewater pink satin I used was a bit heavy and made it harder to hand sew the roses, so be cautious on the weight.

As for the roses, I found it was easier to hand sew at the bottom as you were wrapping the fabric around.  I started with going through the entire bottom to secure it but eventually switched over to tacking the round to the previous one.

I covered the felt round with a piece of the satin.  On the purple hat I made my mom, I covered the felt before putting the netting on.  But for the second hat (which is the one shown) I decided to sandwich the netting between the satin and the felt.

There is a lot of netting for this hat.  For my hat, I trimmed off about half of the netting.  Otherwise, I think it stuck out about 10 to 12 inches above the base.

All the hand sewing of the flowers convinced me to look for a thimble.  By the end of sewing the flowers on, my poor thumbnail ached.  Since I got a thimble, I decided to invest in hand sewing needles too.  So I will post a review of those items when I try them out especially since they were fairly expensive.

I will be completely honest, I don’t think that a comb or a clip will be able to hold this up.  There is quite a bit of weight from the roses plus all the volume of the netting, which made me think that a thin metal headband would be better.  So I cut another of the felt circle base to be able to glue the fascinator to.  Hot glue ended up being the best way to attach the fascinator onto the headband.

 

 

Advertisements

Dollhouse Designs Fiesta Folklorico Skirt

The Hearts for Hearts dolls haven’t had any new clothes in a while.  So first up was Consuelo.  I already had Consuelo a nice rose-colored t-shirt and wanted something to go with it.  In the end I decided on Dollhouse Design’s Fiesta Folklorico pattern.  It gives options for two dress styles, a peasant style blouse and two skirt options.  I decided to go with the long skirt option with ruffle at the bottom.

Next step was finding fabric for Consuelo’s skirt and out of all the fabric at home nothing seemed to work well.  Friday after paying my mortgage and getting a library book, I went fabric shopping for Consuelo’s skirt.  I picked her out a quilting cotton that has a blue schemed floral pattern on it.  It should work well with her pink shoes and rose top.

This is the first Dollhouse Designs pattern I have used.  The PDF was sixty pages.  The instructions were well written and had great pictures.  I didn’t use the instructions much.  Everything seemed pretty intuitive.

The skirt went together very easily.  The most difficult part was gathering the bottom ruffle to fit. My ruffle was longer than suggested.  I probably had a 89 inch ruffle but I wasn’t going to over think where to trim it for an 86 inch ruffle.

The biggest change I made was switching the skirt from Velcro enclosure to an elastic enclosure.  As Consuelo is a 14 inch doll, she has a waist that is almost a quarter of an inch smaller than the Wellie Wishers.  I did baste in the back for a smaller waistline but really thought it was too much of an overlap.  So instead, I cut a 6.5 inch piece of half- inch elastic and threaded it through the waist band and then sewed the back seam at 3/8 inch.  The skirt was a little tight sliding over Consuelo’s hips but otherwise, it fits her perfectly.