I really should have thought about making Simplicity 8365 before the Kentucky Derby and the Royal Wedding. But the thought never crossed my mind then.
In researching the pattern (which I did after I bought and cut the pattern out), I did come across the designer’s tutorial. It was nice to see the pictures of the flowers being made.
I uses poly satins from Joann’s Casa collection and a block of tan felt. As a warning, the rosewater pink satin I used was a bit heavy and made it harder to hand sew the roses, so be cautious on the weight.
As for the roses, I found it was easier to hand sew at the bottom as you were wrapping the fabric around. I started with going through the entire bottom to secure it but eventually switched over to tacking the round to the previous one.
I covered the felt round with a piece of the satin. On the purple hat I made my mom, I covered the felt before putting the netting on. But for the second hat (which is the one shown) I decided to sandwich the netting between the satin and the felt.
There is a lot of netting for this hat. For my hat, I trimmed off about half of the netting. Otherwise, I think it stuck out about 10 to 12 inches above the base.
All the hand sewing of the flowers convinced me to look for a thimble. By the end of sewing the flowers on, my poor thumbnail ached. Since I got a thimble, I decided to invest in hand sewing needles too. So I will post a review of those items when I try them out especially since they were fairly expensive.
I will be completely honest, I don’t think that a comb or a clip will be able to hold this up. There is quite a bit of weight from the roses plus all the volume of the netting, which made me think that a thin metal headband would be better. So I cut another of the felt circle base to be able to glue the fascinator to. Hot glue ended up being the best way to attach the fascinator onto the headband.