Last summer I tried shopping for a RTW one but could not find anything I liked. So looking ahead to spring and summer, I decided I needed to make some knit elastic waist skirts. After searching the pattern stash, I decided to use Butterick 6464. It is from their Lisette collection. This was probably finished early May but just now getting blog photo; weather was some of the problem.
I traced out a size 20. I could have sworn I measured myself correctly. I think my problem was either the stretch material or I measured myself when I was having symptoms from endometriosis and this caused the difference. So far, the endometriosis theory is the front- runner. In the end, I took about 4 inches off all over so I should have traced a size 16 instead.
The fabric used first is a candy apple Ponte knit. With my Pfaff Ambition, it handled the Ponte better at a slower sewing speed.
I did not shorten the pattern when I traced it out. I knew I would most likely take off some length but I wanted to be able to see the skirt on before deciding how much should be removed. I shortened it by an inch then took a 3 inch hem.
I later traced out a 16 one weekend. The following week, I spent cutting out Butterick 6464 skirts in grey, royal blue, and tan Ponte, plus able to cut a Liesl & Co Classic shirt and doll apron.
Over the weekend, I put on my “Home Fires” DVD and went to work on putting together my skirts. As for “Home Fires”, I still don’t agree with the decision to cancel the series. But back to the skirts, I decided to top-stitch down each side on the center front and back panels. As for the side seams, I ended up taking them in an inch (2 inches total). This is a more reasonable amount based on fabric stretch, so I didn’t decide to re-trace out the size 14.
The skirts went together fairly quickly and I had all three completed by Sunday afternoon.