I love that K&R Vintage takes old children’s patterns and makes them into doll sized. I decided to try out one from 1939 for Kit. I had previously used one for Molly and had great success with it. However, it doesn’t seem like Kit is destined to get the same result. I definitely won’t recommend this one unless you want to take the time to fix it.
All the pattern notches and seams lined up perfectly which is great.
The part that I really don’t like is that the shoulders of the dress are about a quarter of an inch off of Kit’s shoulders. It isn’t suppose to have dropped shoulder sleeves. I think this is too much to just be a cutting or off sewing issue.
Below is how it looked before the side seams were brought in.
I pulled in the side seams at least three-quarters of an inch. At this point, it is probably as good as it gets.
I did as the pattern requested and checked the wrist measurement and the pattern piece provided looked like it would fit fine. But in the end I had troubles getting it over Kit’s fingers. I would have preferred to added some hook & loop fastener at the cuffs just to make it easier on me.
I decided I am not willing to try to make the necessary changes to the pattern to get a better fitting garment for Kit. I do wonder if the original children’s dress had the same issues though. I have not been able to find the inspiration pattern on the internet. Kit will probably just get a different dress altogether.