I chose the Ottilie fascinator for my derby day hat. This one was a bit more involved to make as I made the sinamay base from scratch also. But it still wasn’t too hard to make.
Creating the base was the most involved part. Most of the base was made during my breaks at work over 4 or so days. Taping the wire ends was tricky. So if I make bases again, I will probably get someone to help out with holding the wire. I used masking tape and it worked but was a bit chunky. Floral tape will be better choice. I went with Mod Podge fabric stiffener. My base took 4 coats. I did this over 3 days on a Styrofoam head.
I had to create my own bias for the base and to make the bow. First thing I did was pulled out a calculator and see how long the circumference of the 5.5 inch base was. The 5.5 inch base needed less bias than I needed for the bow. To determine how much sinamay I needed, I used a 45 degree right triangle to figure the side length needed. In the end, I needed a 28 inch long piece of sinamay to make enough bias for the bow.
The instructions in the book for the birdcage veil were very well done. I understood what it wanted me to do but I was slow and it took me 15 minutes to completely gather the netting. The bow was easy to construct and I had it together in 30 minutes.
I have fine thin hair so that was not going to support the weight of a fascinator. I decided to go with a head band wrapped in embroidery floss to match my hair color. As it was the first head band I wrapped, the hot glue on the ends isn’t as neat as it could be.