After Rebecca, Felicity was up next for a new outfit. I had seen Jessa’s version of Thimbles and Acorns’ 18th Century Hooded jacket so that plus that the pattern is rated as easy seem to seal the deal as that is what Felicity was going to get for the new outfit.
My friend Annette had given me some lovely scraps of fabric at one of our Christmas parties for KC Pinheads. If I remember right, I think she said that the fabric I ended up using for Felicity’s skirt is an Italian wool?. Anyways, the skirt was very simple to make. It is gathered rectangles on a waistband. Now, I determined I don’t care for the instructions of sewing ties into the waistband and then tying the skirt shut on both sides. So I decided to use Velcro on one side only. The other side’s waist band was sewn closed and the pocket opening sides were stitched down. So the pocket opening is still usable (if Felicity had pockets).
As for the jacket, I had planned on using the skirt fabric to make the hood. But the more I thought about it; the more I came to realize that doing that would limit the versatility of having separate pieces. In the end, I decided to use the blue cotton voile for the collar and outer fabric and the white quilting cotton for the lining. Maybe if I scour my fabric stash some more, Felicity could have another skirt to coordinate with her blue jacket.
Again, I changed the closure of the jacket from laced/ hooks to Velcro. Since I made that change, I used a narrower seam allowance on the front of 3/8 inch instead so the fronts would overlap.
Lace was subbed in for the soutashe on the sleeves.
I had a little bit of trouble with the sleeves. I was under the impression that the whole jacket was being turned through the bottom of the sleeve then hand sewing the bottom of sleeve closed. So it would be making complete outer and complete lining then put them together. But the instructions have you turning through the armhole at the shoulder area. I had to remove my sleeve and redo them. Then after everything was finished, the arm shoulder/ sleeve seam was hand sewn shut.
In the photos, Felicity is wearing her original shift (chemise) from American Girl under the jacket and skirt. To be honest, the jacket is a bit tight in the upper arm area because of it. I almost wonder if I had finished my seams with the serger, I may have been able to skip the hand sewing and maybe get a little extra ease at the armhole.
Felicity was so fortunate that my friends at the New Lancaster General store let her have a photo shoot in their lunch area/ overflow tasting room when my parents and I visited before Valentine’s day.
One three more dolls are waiting for new hand-made outfits: Samantha, Molly, and Melody. But for now, they will have to wait until a few other projects are completed first.