Tag Archive | amigurumi

Samuel Koala

Boris the red squirrel proved to be just too tricky.  I can’t seem to get the color change in the cheeks to look right on his face.  As of now, the squirrel is in pieces in a bag awaiting the day when I am better able to make its head.

Next up on the menagerie was Samuel the Koala.  Granted my mom would say I need to make another Dorset sheep so I stop taking the one I made her.  But I really wanted  a koala.

Samuel is a level 2.  So it was just a simple color change for his nose and a light color to trim his ears.  Like before, I used Red Heart super saver yarn and a size H crochet hook.

 

 

Advertisements

Hank the Dorset Sheep

For a mother’s day surprise, I decided to make another animal from Edward’s Menagerie.  Flipping through the level two critters, Hank the Dorset Sheep stood out.  It was one which I could use the left over yarn from Emma the Bunny.

Like Emma, Hank was created with a size H hook.  All the pieces (head, limbs, tail and ears) are created separately using either the general form instruction or critter specific instructions and sometimes a mix of both.  After all the pieces are made, then you sew the pieces onto the body.  The hardest part of putting together the animal was sewing the legs on.  I was able to get Hank’s legs on in the first try.  I used two straight pins and pinned the legs  on.  Then after waiting for thirty minutes to make sure the sheep could sit, I attached the two legs.

The fleece is chain loops.  It took me a little while to get all the fleece completed.

 

Crochet Animal Pals Review

dsci0074

I will always go put a potential craft project in Google to see what others have made (I even Googled Kit’s overalls before making).  It doesn’t stop me from making what ever the project is if there isn’t a review.  The kit my sister gave me “Crochet Animal Pals” for Christmas was no different.  I couldn’t find any reviews for this kit.

The kit includes 3 balls of yarn (plus some dark brown for the face embroidery) for one animal, a 4 mm crochet hook, a tapestry needle (which may be a little small for the thick yarn), and a book of instructions for 5 animals.  The animals include a bunny, bear, fox, cat, and elephant.  If you follow the instructions to the letter, the included yarn can only make a bunny or a bear.  The instructions tell you all materials included in the kit for bear and bunny.  Otherwise, materials are listed out for the other animals.

I was torn as to whether to start with the bear or the bunny.  In the end the bunny won out, but I started and figured I had up to round 19 to decide.  The basic pattern for the body and head is very easy to follow.  I didn’t have any troubles at all.  Just be sure to count stitches as you go and to mark down which round one finishes.  Flipping back and forth in the book, you find the instructions for the arms, legs, ears and tail.  All those instructions were easy to understand also.

In the end, I didn’t have enough tan yarn to make my entire bunny.  I would have been short 1 ear and a tail.  So that is why the one ear has grey and tan and the other ear is solid grey.  I also tried to sew a couple of grey spots on the body so that the grey ears and tail didn’t look out of place.  Also, I didn’t have enough stuffing for the entire rabbit too.

dsci0093

 

I really wanted to make the bear also.  So right after finishing up the rabbit, I got the supplies for the bear (using the other patterns to estimate how much yarn I would need).  This time I used Premier Yarn’s Deborah Norville Collection’s Serenity chunky.  After finishing up the bear and weighing the amount of yarn (cream) left from making the bear body, I had just 0.8 oz of yarn left.  Doing the math, I determined the bear used 85 yards of yarn to make the bear.

I really didn’t like how the bear’s hat is done.  It was sort of confusing when it came time to make the brim of the hat.

dsci0095

 

Now time for the one I made my mom.  She decided on a bear also with a striped sweater.  But I decided I wanted to use the hat that went with the elephant instead.  I have double checked my math and I believe there is a typo in round 9 on the elephant’s hat.  The total I come up with is 36 stitches at the end, not the 41 in the book.  My hat does look like the one in the book.  I have e-mailed this to Sterling Publishers but have not heard anything back yet.  I will up-date the blog post if I do.

dsci0105

 

dsci0106

I just finished the third one for my mom over the weekend.

I really enjoyed the kit and will keep using the patterns in the book.