Tag Archive | Cashmerette

Cashmerette Appleton

To start with, this isn’t my first Appleton. I made a few of them for my mom for Christmas (one test that she got around Thanksgiving and two for Christmas presents from the pets).  Out of respect, I did not post her dresses to the blog.  I did post one on the KC Pinheads Facebook pages just incase they had some fitting advice for me.  She didn’t like it but at least understood why.  Her dresses look so great on her but we do have the discussion of are they too long.  The dress covers the top of her knee-high compression support stockings by three inches so I say it is perfect length because I was told to make it long enough to cover the top of the stockings.  She thinks it is too long. However, the dresses in the post are the first ones I ever made for myself.

Picking pattern size was the hardest part. There is a lot of negative ease in the pattern.  I don’t usually do too much negative ease.  So choosing size was a big hurdle.  In fact I traced a 14/18 combo then about a week later , I had size doubts and then re-traced the pattern out in a 16/18 combo.  In the end, I used the 16 E/F for the bust and grading out to the 18 at the waist line (where the ties wrap through is what I took as waistline).  I ended up with about 5 inches negative ease (about a 2 inch reduction in negative ease).  My bust is around a 42 inch.

Since I have made this dress before, I didn’t use the instruction really. I did put it out when it came time to apply the neckband.

The only other alteration I made was to shorten the dress by 2 inches at the hem and to take a 2.25 inch hem.

I decided to remake this dress for a friend’s wedding in early June.  The only change I made was to length the short sleeves to almost elbow length.  They may be a little long but I like them a bit better.  This one is from a little thinner ITY.  It feels so silky to the touch.

 

 

But as my wardrobe is more separates based, I really want to modify the Appleton into a top using Cashmerette’s hack they release.

Cashmerette Dartmouth

Cashmerette Dartmouth was another top that I cut out while my sewing machine was being repaired.  But tragedy struck that top.  All pictures are from the re-make.

For this one I picked a 16 C/D at the bust and graded out to the 18 at the waist.  To be honest, I don’t think I picked the right size.  This feels a little too relaxed and oversized as I am wearing it when I stitched it at the recommended seam allowances.

I was trying to improve the fit of my top so that I would wear it more.  As I was trimming the seam allowances, I cut a huge hole in the back of the top.  It was complete un-repairable.  Luckily, I did have the next day off from work, so I put some new fabric in the washing machine and hung to dry.  Both attempts were made from Rayon/ lycra jersey.

Dartmouth was actually a fairly fast make.  I probably started cutting it out around 8 am in the morning and by 11:30 I was finished with the top.  I really did not look at the directions much on the second time.  I made the same size as previously made.  This time I used 5/8 to 3/4 inches for the side seams.  I achieved a much better fit for the top.  I have realized that I probably need to size down or remove some of the hip curve.

The only part that annoys me a bit is the front hem.  Since there is two layers of fabric in the front, my hem just seems too bulky.  Once I get the correct size picked out, I will probably go back and trace out a second front for me and short it by an inch just so that it is caught in the hem but hopefully not making the hem be too bulky.

 

There is still a couple of Cashmerette Appletons to get on the blog and a Scroop Miramar.  Besides the blog worthy, most of the other projects in the back log are t-shirts which have been covered before.

Right now, I have been sorting through patterns trying to figure out what I need most.  After the Sew Powerful Purses, my focus should shift towards lingerie, blouses and trying to make some pants.