Cashmerette Dartmouth was another top that I cut out while my sewing machine was being repaired. But tragedy struck that top. All pictures are from the re-make.
For this one I picked a 16 C/D at the bust and graded out to the 18 at the waist. To be honest, I don’t think I picked the right size. This feels a little too relaxed and oversized as I am wearing it when I stitched it at the recommended seam allowances.
I was trying to improve the fit of my top so that I would wear it more. As I was trimming the seam allowances, I cut a huge hole in the back of the top. It was complete un-repairable. Luckily, I did have the next day off from work, so I put some new fabric in the washing machine and hung to dry. Both attempts were made from Rayon/ lycra jersey.
Dartmouth was actually a fairly fast make. I probably started cutting it out around 8 am in the morning and by 11:30 I was finished with the top. I really did not look at the directions much on the second time. I made the same size as previously made. This time I used 5/8 to 3/4 inches for the side seams. I achieved a much better fit for the top. I have realized that I probably need to size down or remove some of the hip curve.
The only part that annoys me a bit is the front hem. Since there is two layers of fabric in the front, my hem just seems too bulky. Once I get the correct size picked out, I will probably go back and trace out a second front for me and short it by an inch just so that it is caught in the hem but hopefully not making the hem be too bulky.
There is still a couple of Cashmerette Appletons to get on the blog and a Scroop Miramar. Besides the blog worthy, most of the other projects in the back log are t-shirts which have been covered before.
Right now, I have been sorting through patterns trying to figure out what I need most. After the Sew Powerful Purses, my focus should shift towards lingerie, blouses and trying to make some pants.