Tag Archive | priscilla doilies

Spanish Fan (#S-897)

dsci0144After making some doilies for my mom’s Christmas, I decided to start one for my craft/ guest room to put on the pattern file cabinet (but then was sidetracked with the crochet animals for a month).

I originally started off with another pattern from the Coronet from Coat’s & Clark’s #197 (same book as my grey Brocade doily).  I only got to row seven then was stuck.  The row really didn’t look like the picture at all.

So abandoning the Coronet, I searched through the other crochet patterns I had and settled on the Spanish Fan (#S-897) from Coat’s & Clark’s #324 Priscilla Doilies to Crochet (circa 1956).  The main deciding factor was that the caption above the picture stated “The elegance of simplicity… a charming design that is easy to crochet, even for beginners”.  It didn’t hurt that there were also, 5 other doilies listed in Ravelry.  At least I knew others had made it.

I used Aunt Lydia’s Classic crochet thread size 10 in coral instead of the size 30 thread requested in the pattern.  I also used a B sized crochet hook (2.25mm).  In the end, my doily was about 21 inches wide.


This is one time I may have to agree with the pattern book.  This was a fairly easy doily to crochet.  I had the first 5 rounds completed before Christmas.  So when I recently re-picked up this project I did have a little trouble trying to figure out where I left off at. But after that was sorted out, I was able to follow the pattern very easy.  I didn’t complete round 34.  I did start the round which has picots in the chain between the double crochet stitches.  My picots looked so messy that I decided it was best to finish it at round 33.


Upcoming crochet projects include a doily for my mother for Mother’s day and making Emma the bunny from “Edward’s Menagerie”.




Brocade Doily

dsci0036Here is the latest doily that I made. This one is from Coats & Clarks #197 “Priscilla Doilies”.  I made Brocade #A-792.  It was originally published in 1969.

As this is doily number 4, this time I used a thinner thread (size 10) and a smaller crochet hook (size C). The finished size is 20 inches.  It is bigger than I had wanted for the center of my dresser but I am still learning.  If I had used the pattern’s recommend size 20 thread and hook, it would be 15 inches.  I decided that I will just put it at the edge of the dresser then drape the excess off behind the dresser.  My lamp, two cedar boxes and a couple of bottles of perfume will look nice on it.


The pattern wasn’t really hard to follow. There were a couple of rows that reading the directions didn’t make sense.  So I would start out the row and then compare what I was doing to the picture included in the book.  The picture was detailed enough that you could see what the pattern was.

This is it not starched.


dsci0034 dsci0033 dsci0032