Tag Archive | Wren feathers

Doll Clothing Week- 1940s

 

Today is 1940’s day for Doll Clothing week in honor of Nanea’s release over the summer. There are just so many different options; it was hard to narrow it down to one outfit for my dolls.  I thought Nanea’s meet outfit was adorable, but then I also had Molly that I could try to recreate one of her outfits.  I have Molly’s pretty clothing patterns.  Then I thought about another KRVP dress and even bought some fabric for it but didn’t want to repeat the same dress that I made earlier this year.  After that I thought about the “Heritage Doll Clothing” book too.  In the end, Wren Feathers made my decision easy when she released her 1940’s Island patterns.  I decided that my Nanea doll needed the 1940’s Muumuu.

 

The pattern came together fairly easily.  Nanea’s dress is made from quilting cotton.  The yoke is lined with white cotton and I was able to get a great square neckline with this method.  For the sleeve hem, I did a narrow rolled hem.  My tip for this is to use a small zigzag stitch at the edge.  This way I had something a little denser to be able to narrow roll.  I use two passes of straight stitch for the hem; fold over once and stitch, then fold over again and stitch.  I find I get better consistency doing the narrow hems this way.

The only item I would do differently next time would be to make the ruffle piece longer.  This is completely person opinion but when I look at Nanea, it seems like the bottom of my ruffle is pulling the dress in instead of flowing out more.

I took Nanea out to my parents’ house over the weekend to show my mom the dress.  She said that this dress would have been a better meet dress for Nanea then the top and shorts she came with.  My mom felt it had a better Hawaiian style to it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Rahel’s Ethiopian Dress

June 10 is World Doll Day.  So lets celebrate by showing off Rahel in her new dress.  Rahel is the third Hearts for Hearts doll added to my collection.

Rahel got the Ethiopian dress from Wren Feathers designs.  Honestly, it is an extremely easy pattern to put together.  I read through the directions and I decided that I was going to use a Velcro to close the back of the dress up.  I printed out a separate piece for the back and then added 3/8th of an inch to the center back for the Velcro.

The stash really didn’t have all the colorful trim that the pattern asked for.  Instead, I used my machine’s decorative stitches and the straight stitch for trim.  It was stitch 32 or 36 on my Pfaff Ambition Essential.  I really wished I would have went with more colorful stitches instead of staying with the single color which matched Rahel’s bangles and necklace.  As for the main fabric, I have to admit it is a mystery fabric that I got from Hancock’s remnant bin.  But it was a lovely light blue which worked well with the trim stitching.

However, I didn’t catch that the sleeve area should have had the binding also.