I love that K&R Vintage takes old children’s patterns and makes them into doll sized. I decided to try out one from 1939 for Kit. I had previously used one for Molly and had great success with it. However, it doesn’t seem like Kit is destined to get the same result. I definitely won’t recommend this one unless you want to take the time to fix it.
All the pattern notches and seams lined up perfectly which is great.
The part that I really don’t like is that the shoulders of the dress are about a quarter of an inch off of Kit’s shoulders. It isn’t suppose to have dropped shoulder sleeves. I think this is too much to just be a cutting or off sewing issue.
Below is how it looked before the side seams were brought in.
I pulled in the side seams at least three-quarters of an inch. At this point, it is probably as good as it gets.
I did as the pattern requested and checked the wrist measurement and the pattern piece provided looked like it would fit fine. But in the end I had troubles getting it over Kit’s fingers. I would have preferred to added some hook & loop fastener at the cuffs just to make it easier on me.
I decided I am not willing to try to make the necessary changes to the pattern to get a better fitting garment for Kit. I do wonder if the original children’s dress had the same issues though. I have not been able to find the inspiration pattern on the internet. Kit will probably just get a different dress altogether.
Over Christmas, I was able to make a couple of doll items. Keeping a less formal look, I decided on a shirtwaist, skirt and jacket for Marie Grace. As of right now, Marie Grace only got her skirt which was from the 1860s School Outfit from Joan Hind’s “Heritage Doll Clothes”.
The skirt is easy to make and probably should have waited until everything has been completed. I didn’t make any changes to the pattern except for closure preference. But realize that Marie Grace has her hoop skirt on underneath this skirt so the pattern works well on newer dolls with all the historical undergarments.
I use a light weight suiting fabric to make the skirt and hook & loop fastener for the closure not the hook & eye requested.
We are looking for volunteers for the day of competition judging of the presentations and physical models. The Great Plains Region is Kansas and Kansas City area. Competition is at the Kansas State University’s Engineering Complex on Saturday January 19.
More Information about Future City is at Discover E Future City
future city 2019 – great plains
Here is the sign up link Great Plains Judging
Nahji’s outfit consist of the Liberty Jane mini skirt and the Liberty Jane King’s Canyon Peplum top. I have already reviewed the skirt with Dell’s outfit. So this will just be the King’s Canyon Peplum.
Intermediate sewing level is probably about right for this project. It requires a light weight fabric which if you are not use to can cause problems. I used rayon challis that I had left over in the scrap bin. Rayon challis does require a lot of pinning as it is slippery.
As I really didn’t have any trim that I wanted to use it does seem a little plain on the front. I probably should have used one of the decorative stitches from my sewing machine. Or maybe I shouldn’t have done the split at the neck line. I am not sure.
It fits Nahji well and really wasn’t hard to stitch together. It does require having the right fabric suggestions to get a great drape. I double rolled the peplum hem and that did cause it to stick out in the rayon.
It took about a month with an I sized crochet hook but I finally finished Yarnspiration’s “Crochet It Shawl”. It took 2 balls of the country blue Caron simply soft yarn and 1 of the taupe color. The pattern was free.
The pattern is rated as intermediate. It is all single and double crochet stitches but I think it being a triangle is why it is at intermediate. It definitely take time and counting on the pattern.
Crochet It Shawl pattern
Our beloved Toby who has been seen here on the blog a little passed away today at 15 years and 4 months. Lala and I will miss you Toby.
Lauryce’s skirt has been done since early July . But I have been horrible about taking time to take pictures. There is at least 6 other doll items plus a couple of items for myself still needing pictures.
Lauryce got the Harajuku skirt from Liberty Jane. It was in the Hearts for Hearts/ Les Corrolles section so not the Wellie version.
All I remember is that this was extremely fast to sew. I think I had it completed in one evening from cutting to end. I know that I would have done as much as possible flat (even the hem) then put the elastic at the waist. Lastly was seaming up the back.
Lauryce’s skirt is from left over quilting cotton I had from the grey suit I previously made. Her top is Liberty Jane’s baseball tee which was previously made.